Every entrepreneur should have a newsletter. Here’s why – and how to get started.
When I start talking with other entrepreneurs about newsletters, there were two reactions I often get.
Number 1: Their eyes glaze and their gaze starts to wonder. They may not say it out loud but I can hear the psychological “This doesn’t concern me” wheel starting to turn.
Number 2: They go ahead and say some version of “no”. As in “No way, I’m not going to add another project on my plate! It’s just not possible.” or “No, I’m not going to start spamming my followers with any more emails.”
Well, I won’t twist your arm. But I will share five advantages that might make you change your mind. Here they are in the form of: why you need a newsletter and how to actually start publishing one this very week.
I don’t need one You will sell more
Now I can hear you saying: “But Pauliina, I don’t need a newsletter! I connect with my clients via social media already.”
Good job with your social channels! The thing with them is that you’ll always be at the mercy of changing algorithms and it will get harder and harder every year to get organic visibility to your content.
Via newsletter, you can connect directly with your tribe when you want and have something to say. They can open your message when they have time to read it. You don’t risk your precious content floating away when their feed fills up – it will be waiting for them in their inboxes.
At the end of the day, what does this mean for you? You have one more channel to speak to your audience and this will improve your sales. If you don’t believe me, try it out. My newsletter is the number one best selling channes for my workshops at present moment.
I have nothing to say It’s easy to come up with the content
Okay, let’s attack the next counterargument. You don’t have any content to share in your newsletter? Of course you do! Try one of these tactics:
- Share your blog posts (podcasts, vlogs…). A new piece of content is always a good reason to send out an email reminder. Not everyone catches your latest updates via other channels.
- Share a personal story. Let’s say you’re writing about hiring a copywriter. You can share your tips on your blog and a personal story of your first experience on your newsletter. And your done!
- Share something old that is relevant again. Recycle your old content.
READ MORE: 10 content ideas that work on every platform
I don’t have the time You can make the time
Honestly, none of us has the time. We make time for the things that really matter.
But to capitalise on time… Start releasing your newsletter only once or twice a month. It doesn’t have to be a weekly thing! It’s better to start slowly and gain traction along with confidence. Once you get into a good rhythm, you can speed things up.
READ MORE: 4 ways to create content consistently
I don’t know how to get started It’s simple to set up
Tech can be scary. I’m still not on very familiar terms with MailChimp – but we manage to get along.
Setting up a newsletter is really not as complicated as it sounds. Providers have very good support systems so ask for their help or hire someone to help you out. Then it’s time to some good old-fashioned trial and error.
If it’s any consolation, I have made the following newsletter mistakes:
- Sent out a message with a huge typo in the title
- Sent out a discount message having a different discount in the headline than in the content
- Sent out automated messages to new subscribers who shouldn’t have received them – it did not make any sense, because it was destined for people who had opted in for a different freebie
- Had malfunctioning opt-in forms on my site, several times
I’m not saying you should take your followers and content lightly – but when you try out different things, there’s always a learning curve. Give yourself time to learn, and test things out with close friends and family members.
Newsletters are spam Newsletters are valuable content
Many of us have a negative attitude towards the idea of a newsletter because we feel we’ve received spammy newsletters ourselves and don’t want to count ourselves amongst that tribe.
But you don’t have to! That’s why you create newsletters that really add value to your followers. Quality content counts!
Wouldn’t you want to receive the following messages:
- 40 % discount on your favorite cosmetics brand?
- 5 ways to save one hour of every working day?
- The one change in your everyday life you need to make to become happier, healthier and more fulfilled?
Just make sure to live up to your promises.
So, how many of you have I convinced to start a newsletter? Send me a sign-up link once you’re done. I’m happy to be your first subscriber.
You’re also welcome to share the news on our Facebook page – I’m sure many of our followers would love to subscribe, too!
I've got you covered!
Don't miss out on more actionable tips that help you create your content more quickly - without stress and strain!